Friday, November 4, 2011

30 Days of Thankfulness - Day 4



I am thankful for my crockpot.


I have never been a good cook, and I don't really like to cook.  To be honest, it always seemed like way too much work, and I don't eat a lot.  But, once I got married, not cooking for 2 of us wasn't really an option.  Since I get home from work anywhere from 2-4 hours before G., it makes sense that I'm the one to prepare dinner for us most nights.


So I started off with easy - and that's where my crockpot came in.  I have a beautiful, stoneware, 6 quart crockpot that I got as a Christmas present from my brother.  I began to look us easy recipes that I could prepare the night before and then let cook in the crockpot all day.


Since then, I have become a much better cook, and do venture outside of the crockpot for dinner.  However, I still love finding great new recipes that I can cook in the crockpot.  And on busy days like I have had for the last few weeks, a crockpot meal is a life saver!  Tonight's dinner = Green Chili Carnitas
And yes, I've been told that green chili's are not considered a pantry "staple ingredient" in other parts of the country, but here in the southwest it is!


Green Chili Carnitas
Ingredients
2 cups of chicken broth
Pork shoulder roast
1 onion, diced
1 14 oz can of green chili
Corn or flour tortillas
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil


Toppings (optional)
Salsa
Cheese
Sour cream
Chopped green onions


Directions
Season pork roast with salt and pepper and place in crockpot.  Pour 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth into the crockpot and cook on low for 10-12 hours (on high 5-6 hours), or until pork roast is cooked and shreds easily.  Remove roast from crockpot and shred meat, removing any fat. Place shredded pork into a casserole dish or large cookware. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


While oven is heating, pour a tablespoon of olive oil into a saucepan over medium-high heat.  Saute diced yellow onion in olive oil until it turns golden.  Add in green chili and remaining 1/2 a cup of chicken broth and cook until mixture is heated through.  Add mixture to the shredded pork and mix thoroughly.  Place dish in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.


Serve on flour or corn tortilla's, and top with desired toppings.



No comments:

Post a Comment